Tuesday, January 5, 2010

How the Monster House Was Born, part 1

It all started back in the summer of 09. At the time, I was living on the streets, eking out a living by shining the shoes of the software engineers filing into the Amazon building in the ID. Since most of them wore sneakers, this was not a very profitable venture.

It was then, in a moment of despair, that I heard the booming voice of some awe-inspiring presence, the source unknown, but it shook the very timbre of my soul. "Mark," it said, "your destiny awaits."

I put down my meager meal of corn hash and mochi (hey, I'm in the ID, and I like mochi) and tried to talk to the presence. "Lord, where art thou?"

"Do not call me Lord. Call me...Raul. Mark, you must form a merry band of housemates, and room with them, and your house shall be glorious, and it shall be the social hub of the LDS singles scene in Seattle."

"What shall we call this house, O Raul?"

"It is up to you to determine the name. It shall come to you."

And the voice faded away. I called for it..."Raul, Raul" I said...but I did not hear it again. It was just then that I saw a heavenly angel, who looked an awful lot like this girl, come to think of it, who I was compelled to follow. She eventually led me to the Wedgwood neighborhood of Seattle, and turned around, apparently aware of my presence all along.

"Your house," she said, "shall be a monster." And in an instant, she was gone.

It was then that I saw it. The gaping maw of the old brick house beckoned me forth, the piercing glare of the two windows shaking me to the core. And yet it was oddly compelling. It was an ominous presence, but not an uninviting one. I knew what I must do. I had to find housemates to fill this house, and I had to do it soon.

Destiny was at hand.

2 comments:

  1. MONSTEEERRRRRRR HOUUUUUUSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, actually you just asked me if you could have our house after we were done with it. Don't make up stories that cut me out. I'm pretty important, you know.

    ReplyDelete